Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Waiting for the Perfect Wave?

 


At the end of July, we went on a brief vacation to New Hampshire. I was impressed by the many surfers at our beach. Some would be out in the frigid ocean before 7 in the morning and not leave the water until 8 or 9 at night. Heads bobbling just above the surface, they would wait endlessly in the ocean, holding onto their white surf boards at water level in their black wet suits, hoping for the perfect wave so that, when it came along, they could ride it for 1, 2, 3, 4, maybe 5 seconds.

How many times do we tread water while we wait for just the perfect wave to come, the perfect time to act?

Are we as prepared and dedicated as these surfers?

Is our hope more sure than their perfect brief wave?

I was reminded of Peter’s encouragement to the dispersed Christians in ancient Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia who were experiencing mistreatment by their neighbors: “Sanctify the Lord Jesus in your hearts, be ready always to make a defense to anyone asking you an explanation concerning the hope that is among you, yet do it with gentleness and respect” (1 Peter 3:15-16).

When I taught English as a Second Language at the Trenton Maximum Security Prison in New Jersey, just after completing my Master of Divinity, I felt duty-bound to share the good news of Jesus Christ to the Latin American inmates, when the right time came. So, I made some plans. As their teacher, I already had a good relationship with the men. Now I had to plan the perfect evangelistic program. First, I thought I would show them the antithesis of the gospel—a film on the Ku Klux Klan. That bombed! The KKK was using Bible words out of context to defend their hatred of certain groups, including my students. Then, I brought a film on Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King where he gives his famous sermon “I have a dream.” I thought that he would provide a positive model of a concerned Christian. But, at the end, one of the men yelled out that King’s dream was just that—a dream—and did not happen. Prejudice and discrimination still occur, and they all had felt it many times.

After that, I decided to give up on my fancy presentations and preparations. One night, as the students worked on their assignments, I found an inopportune time, I lifted a sheet of paper, and asked abruptly: “Would any of you want a Bible study or a worship service?” To my shock, a few yelled, “Both!” I was astounded! I then told them: “If you are really interested, come up and sign this paper and indicate which program you want.” Many men rushed forward, and others followed. I then set up a Bible study (which I led together with Bill) and I invited churches to conduct worship services. Three agreed to come: the local Spanish Methodist, Pentecostal, and Roman Catholic churches. So, together we filled the week with Christian events.

I had been waiting for the perfect wave but did not realize that in God’s flow of events a good relationship was sufficient, real, the “perfect” preparation, not a “perfect” presentation.

I had been prepared by having studied in seminary and now understood that this basic Bible and ministry training was what I had needed.

My hope had been to present the good news to them. Finally, I was able to invite them to the means to do so: Bible study and worship. And, in the end, they would have a hope not of a few seconds but of eternal duration.  

Aida 

Spanish Bible Study Class 1974

  

No comments:

Post a Comment